When I was in third year college, we have a subject called Introduction to Law. The subject involves reading supreme court decisions and summarizing them. I use to study 10 cases a night, and I’m not kidding when I say that some of the decisions of the courts were very long.
Despite that, I managed to remember some supreme court love quotes that are very inspiring.
So, how does the Philippine Supreme Court see love?
1. "If the two eventually fell in love, despite the disparity in their ages and academic levels, this only lends substance to the truism that the heart has reasons of its own which reason does not know." - Chua-Qua vs Clave 189 SCRA 117
2. "Statistics never lie, but lovers often do, quipped a sage. This sad truth has unsettled many a love transformed into matrimony. Any sort of deception between spouses, no matter the gravity, is always disquieting." - Antonio v. Reyes, G.R. No. 155800
3. Marital union is a two-way process. An expressive interest in each other's feelings at a time it is needed by the other can go a long way in deepening the marital relationship. Marriage is definitely not for children but for two consenting adults who view the relationship with love amor gignit amorem, respect, sacrifice and a continuing commitment to compromise, conscious of its value as a sublime social institution. - Chi Ming Tsoi v. Court of Appeals and Gina Lao- Tsoi, GR No. 119190
4. Love happens to everyone. It is dubbed to be boundless as it goes beyond the expectations people tagged with it. In love, “age does matter.” People love in order to be secure that one will share his/her life with another and that he/she will not die alone. Individuals who are in love had the power to let love grow or let love die – it is a choice one had to face when love is not the love he/she expected. - Padilla-Rumbaua v. Rumbaua, G.R. No. 166738
5. We cannot castigate a man for seeking out the partner of his dreams, for marriage is a sacred and perpetual bond which should be entered into because of love, not for any other reason. - Figueroa v. Barranco, Jr., SBC Case No. 519