One of the shortcomings of Windows Phone 7 is the inability to create backups of any kind of data through the Zune, which can lead to lose almost all of our data in case of reset of the phone or the purchase of a new one. Fortunately, they have developed a program called WPV App Data Backup which solves this problem.
Windows Phone 7 images, music, calendar, contacts, and email data will always be safe thanks to this new application. The data of the various applications we are installed in the device, however, can be lost because there is no way to save them because they are stored in an Isolated Storage dedicated to the various applications and games. Sorry.
- WP 7.1 SDK beta 2 (or later) installed on your PC
- Unlocked Phone
- Download and install the SDK beta (link at the bottom of the article).
- Download and extract the application WPV Data Backup App.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable and when you open the Zune do not close it (be careful, remember that Zune could re-lock your phone if you do not take precautions).
- Run the file WPV Data Backup App.
- Click on Browse to select the folder where you store the backup.
- Click on BACKUP and wait.
Unfortunately, this app will not work on applications downloaded on your Windows Phone device from the marketplace, because of the digital signature embedded on the apps.
- Install the applications on the phone you want to restore. Note: Because the backup only contains data and not the applications themselves.
- Connect your phone to your PC via USB cable and when you open the Zune and do not close it.
- Run the File WPV Data Backup App.
- Click on Browse to select the folder where you had stored your backup.
- Click on RESTORE and wait.
For many applications, it may wise to run them once after installation before restoring the data, because the first when you run them, it creates a folder structure in the phone’s memory.